This bellydance for fitness box set includes four instructional DVD titles: Pure Sweat, Hip Drop Hip Hop, Cardio Shimmy, and Bellydance Boogie. Instructions and inspiration are provided by AFAA certified Fitness Instructor and award-winning dancer, Rania. The workouts are set in a studio and Rania is supported by a small group of dancers.
Rania believes that bellydancing can be done to any kind of music. So, in this box set, she mixes it up a bit!
Pure Sweat is a high energy aerobic workout that meshes traditional bellydance with salsa, rumba, and samba.
Hip Drop Hip Hop is a bellydance workout done to hip hop music.
Cardio Shimmy is a bellydance workout that focuses on the “shimmy” move. This workout teaches you a variety of hip and shoulder shimmies.
And finally, Bellydance Boogie combines the traditional bellydance moves with hip hop and R&B.
Pure Sweat Belly Dance Part 1
How Does Bellydance Fitness for Weight Loss Work?
Bellydancing burns calories and can serve as a cardiovascular workout. The unique muscle movements of bellydance also massage and stimulate your digestive system, which increases your metabolism. Plus, dancing is fun, and we all know that fun workouts work better than those we don’t enjoy.
In her routines, Rania selects moves for each of the four workouts to work different areas of your body. By using the entire box set, you can be sure you are using all of your muscle groups.
Each of the four workouts features a 5 minute warm-up. Then 20 minutes is devoted to instruction and routines. Each disc finishes with 5 minutes of cool down and stretching.
What Others Are Saying – Does Bellydance Fitness for Weight Loss Work?
An Amazon reviewer, Barbara L. Timmer, wrote:
I’ve been working out on a consistent basis for about two months now. I’m doing the Cardio Shimmy at this point in time and I’ve lost a dress size! So ladies shake your shimmy, have a blast and lose weight!
Another customer, Ashlee Forehand, wrote:
After a while though I did notice a change in my thighs and shoulders…they’re starting to become more defined…which is always exciting!
How Much Weight Will I Lose?
And one dancer’s husband, also an Amazon reviewer who calls himself Proud Dad, wrote:
[My wife] works out each day and has lost 30 pounds with this video. The pace is such that she can work out for a longer time and yet does not get tired.
Still another Reviewer, nijuro, wrote:
Before I started doing these [workouts] (and I do them everyday, honestly) I weighed 151…two months later and without changing my diet or adding anything other than these tapes, I weigh 119!
Cardio Shimmy Bellydance by Rania
Bellydancing utilizes muscles you might not be used to using (or might not even know you have). Expect some muscle soreness when you begin following these programs.
Pros and Cons
- This is a video for beginners!
- Even if you can’t/don’t do the moves perfectly, you’ll still get a great workout trying!
- The box set usually sells for less than $30, so you get four DVDs for approximately the price of two.
- The background dancers are “normal looking” – with curves!
- Rania provides clear, easy to follow instructions.
- This workout is reported to be good for people with fibromyalgia or arthritis.
- You do not need any special equipment to follow these videos.
- DVD’s include performances, so you can see “real” bellydancing.
- Users reported improved posture after following these workouts.
- These DVDs provide a warm-up and cool down.
- This is a fun workout to do with others (including daughters)!
- Some users find the workouts to be too short.
- Some users complain about the (poor) quality of music.
- Some users complain that the music is not traditional Middle Eastern music.
- Some users complain that this video will not meet the needs of people who want to learn how to bellydance (as opposed to people who are looking to lose weight).
- Some people find the videos’ production to be low quality.
Problems and Complaints
The purposes of these videos are not to teach you to be a professional bellydancer. Some people have voiced complaints about this.
I will leave you with an customer’s comment:
There is a big difference between teaching dance for fitness and teaching dance as an art form. When teaching dance for fitness, you have to use only the moves that are effective in terms of fitness, safe, and ones that target a range of muscle groups for a well-rounded workout. If you are expecting to learn to really dance, buy a dance instruction tape. If you want to work out safely and effectively using bellydance moves, this set is first class.