This guest post is from Sarah who blogs at http://aidacarbone.com. Sarah offers a Plow and Hearth promotion code and a Drugstore.com savings discount. She recommends you visit PlowHearth.com for all your garden and home needs.
We are constantly bombarded with health fads that promise to improve our physique or medicines that are designed to take care of a health problem after it has already occurred. What if you wish to follow a realistic health plan and to carry through with effective methods of preventative medicine?
Whether you are already suffering from a health problem or would simply like to optimize your health so that you can minimize your risk for a variety of health problems, growing a vegetable and herb garden is a great way to get started.
Maintain a Healthy Weight with a Garden
The activity of gardening in itself is a great way to stay physically active and to get more enjoyment out of life. Both of these benefits are effective in promoting healthy living habits. When you plant a garden that includes veggies and herbs, you will also be able to benefit from the variety of nutrients, antioxidants, and medicinal components of these plants. By reducing the amount of processed foods that you eat and increasing the amount of nutritious, fiber-rich, low-calorie, and low-fat produce that you consume, you will be able to shed excess weight while looking and feeling better than ever.
Reduce Your Dependence on Store-Bought Food
You have probably heard about the dangers of many types of food additives including pesticides. It’s also common knowledge that processed foods, which are abundant in today’s food sources, lead to weight gain and a number of health problems. While health food stores offer alternatives to unhealthy food choices, you can do better by growing your own produce. This is also an excellent cost-saving measure.
When you look at a package of food, you may wonder what all of those mystery ingredients are. When you grow your own food, you won’t have to question what goes into your meals. Instead, you can be certain that the food that you and your family consumes is free of pesticides and is fresh (and, therefore, nutrient rich).
Using Freshly Grown Vegetables and Herbs to Treat Health Problems
When you choose to plant your own garden, you will also have complete control over what types of produce you have access to. Many people choose to grow vegetables and herbs based on personal health issues. The following list includes commonly grown vegetables and herbs that are used to prevent or treat health problems.
- Celery. It takes quite of caloric energy to burn a piece of celery that is made up of a relatively low amount of calories. In other words, you will burn a great amount of calories simply by consuming a small amount of celery.
- Dark Green, Leafy Vegetables. Veggies such as kale, collard greens, romaine lettuce, and spinach are low in calories yet rich in nutrients such as vitamins A, C and K. These vegetables work well for reducing weight and cleansing toxins from the body.
- Artichoke. The artichoke is now listed as a “superfood” that contains a large amount of antioxidants that ward off a number of diseases. This veggie also contains a great deal of vitamin C, carotenoids, potassium, and trace minerals that are effective for weight loss.
- Garlic. Used to improve cardio health, reduce cholesterol, and treat skin conditions such as acne.
- Echinacea. This is an herb that has been used for centuries to boost the immune system, treat urinary tract infections, and to treat skin conditions. Feel a cold coming on? Make a tea out of Echinacea for quicker recovery.
- Lavender. Lavandula angustifolia is an herb that has long been used to treat insomnia, anxiety, digestive problems, restlessness, headaches, depression, skin problems, and more.
This list is simply an introduction to the ways in which you can promote your health and treat health problems with the plants that you grow in your own garden. With research, you will find specific plants that you can grow to take care of specific health issues.
Cultivating a garden that includes an array of vegetables and herbs will ensure that you have what is needed to treat heath issues that arise or to prevent health problems from occurring in the first place. In addition, eating a variety of fresh produce from your garden will help in your weight loss efforts, and will promote your overall physical and mental health.