Luscious Belly Dance Workout teaches you how to have a fun aerobic workout while toning and strengthening vital core muscles. Yet it also allows you to learn and enjoy the graceful movements of traditional belly dancing.
Luscious is not a “three of this and three of that” drill that is repeated to infinity. This particular belly dance workout, in a lineup of several, really focuses on the artistic approach. This video doesn’t just present one drill after another, but actually encourages you to dance in a "no pressure" and fun way.
How Does The Belly Dance Workout Work?
The Belly Dance Workout is divided into six sections that shift the focus on different groups of muscles, totaling a 45 minute workout:
- The Circles section works your lower and upper body through circular movements of the pelvis, hip and chest.
- Infinity Loops focus on fluidity through the performance of horizontal figure 8’s.
- Undulations increase the flexibility of your spine.
- Hip Accents targets the hip, thighs and abdominal muscles.
- Shimmy teaches you how to shake your hips and shoulders and burn calories with minimum effort.
- Body Line involves the whole body. It brings forward the desirable, elongated dancer’s posture and awareness.
Three instructors, Neon, Blanca, and Sarah, all in full gorgeous belly dance regalia, divide up the teaching duties, helping you to perform the steps with grace, form and emotion.
Belly dancing, as an art, is believed to create in the dancer a more positive body image. The style of dance celebrates the female form, even in its voluptuous, plus-sized form. So, belly dancing feels good emotionally and mentally.
The Luscious dancers encourage you to go all out with your costume. Don’t you dare belly dance in sweatpants! That defeats half the purpose. Instead, get yourself a long, flowing skirt, and add a belly dance hip scarf with lots of jingly coins. The more you jingle, the less you’ll jiggle!
What Others Are Saying – Does The Belly Dance Workout Work for Weight Loss?
Belly dancing can burn up to 300 calories per hour. So, if you dance for an hour a day, you would burn about 2000 calories per week from dancing. If you continue with your normal caloric intake, you would lose slightly more than half a pound per week, just from dancing!
However, if you cut your caloric intake, you could lose even more. And belly dancing, as with any workout, speeds up your metabolism, which enables you to burn more calories throughout your day.
Sylvia, an advance belly dancer of Middle Eastern descent, testifies that Luscious is like nothing she has ever purchased. It is a real workout that brings you to the “Goddess Zone” soon after you perform it. Sylvia explains:
“Your internal organs will glow, any physical injuries will start to self heal and your confidence and inner sensuality and joy will radiate from every pore.”
The body-sculpting potential of belly dance is a result of its natural movements, which engage the hips and pelvis.
How Much Weight Will I Lose?
Belly dancing in general can serve as your exercise for any weight loss program. If you couple belly dancing with healthy eating, you can lose weight steadily and efficiently. How much weight you will lose depends on how much you have to lose. Physicians recommend you aim to lose weight at 1 to 2 pounds per week. This video can help you accomplish that goal.
Trying new moves and using muscles you normally don’t use can cause some muscle soreness. However, be sure to do a warm-up and a cool-down, and be sure to stay well-hydrated. Once you condition these muscles, you will no longer feel the soreness.
Pros and Cons
- This workout is artistically presented.
- The video includes a tutorial.
- The teachers are talented and motivating.
- The video’s costumes are gorgeous.
- You can choose to dance with or without vocal prompts.
- Instructions are broken down into sections and sub-sections in the menu.
- You do not need any special equipment to do this workout.
- Luscious offers more moves than many other belly dance videos
- This video might be too advanced for a true beginner who has never been introduced to the belly dance choreography.
- It does not include a warm-up, cool down or post-workout stretch, so you have to make sure you do this on your own before you start.
- Those who suffer from bad knees should be careful when performing the few deep lunges and plies.
- It is sometimes difficult to follow the teachers, as they are facing you, not a mirror.
- You cannot see the feet of the dancers during the dances, due to their costumes.
- Sometimes it’s difficult to see the precise movements of the dancers under their costumes.
- Belly dancing takes up a bit of space, so you will need a safe area to dance in.
Problems and Complaints
While this video bears the promise “for beginners,” many dancers found this not to be the case. If you are brand new to dancing, you might want to find a simpler video. There are tutorials, but some Amazon reviewers found the tutorials difficult to follow. Here’s what S. Gardner recommends:
“For those without access to an instructor, it might be better to start with another DVD that better breaks down the basics, such as Bellydance Basics and Beyond: Technique for a Solid Foundation. If you’ve mastered the basics, though, then this will be a fun, relaxed workout, well worth the money.”
Another Amazon reviewer, Melody Hoy wrote: Luscious is for people that already might have some knowledge of basic moves and would like to move on to more challenging moves.
If you love to dance, and you love to look pretty and feel good about yourself while doing it, you might consider adding this video to your workout repertoire. If you are a dancing newbie, this might not be the video for you. Whether or not you utilize this specific video, you might want to try belly dancing. It is a time-honored method of exercise, and a great step toward general well-being. How will you know whether or not it’s for you until you give it a try?